Sunday, May 3, 2009

Stitchin' Mission #17

It all begins Monday! Another Stitchin' Mission (#17) starts May 4 and for the next six weeks - with one week off for Memorial Day - new, and a few experienced quilters, from in and around the Des Moines area will set their sewing machines to hummin'.

A heads-up for new quilters... if you haven't taken your sewing machine out of the closet since I-can't-remember-when, then it's time to dust off that machine, brush out lint under the feed dogs, oil a few places, and put in a new needle. (For piecing a quilt I recommend a Sharp #80, a Jeans #80, or a Universal #80). Then read your owner's manual to remind yourself how to wind a bobbin and thread the machine. Properly taking care of and using your sewing machine plays a big role in your success - and happiness! - with quiltmaking. 

As we progress through lessons, I'll post your questions and answers, so everyone can learn. You won't hear me say, "My way is the right way..." or "... the only way." Rather, I will share with you my 33 years of experience finding techniques that work. Then I encourage you to find your own "sweet spot" as you enjoy the creative process.

I sincerely hope you will enjoy quiltmaking as much as I do. 

No comments: